‣ We will be having 4 competitions per year. Each competition will span 3 months, following the calendar quarters, with the deadline falling on the last day of each quarter.
‣ Quarterly Competitions are fun, friendly, competitions focused on providing feedback to brewers and fostering the homebrew community! These are not competitive BJCP sanctioned competitions.
‣ Q1: January - March, Q2: April - June, Q3: July - September, Q4: October - December.
‣ Each quarter will be limited to specific categories and/or beer styles.
‣ The current competition schedule will be listed above.
REGISTRATION & SUBMISSION
‣ This is a free competition, there is no entry fee.
‣ Each participant may enter up to 2 different beers.
‣ All entries must be registered online and dropped off at Hop Craft by the last day of each quarter. (see schedule above for specific dates)
‣ To register your beers, click the registration button for the active quarter, and fill out the form that follows.
‣ Please attach a label to your beers with a rubber band, include your name and the name of the beer.
‣ Please drop off at least 2 bottles of each beer for judging, and however many you would like for sampling at the awards / tasting event.
‣ Beers are judged by professional commercial brewers and BJCP judges, Hop Craft employees are not involved in judging.
‣ Using the BJCP scoresheet, beers will be judged based on aroma, appearance, flavor, mouthfeel, and overall impression. Feedback will be given for each of these categories.
‣ Judges will work in pairs to evaluate beers.
‣ During the first round of judging, each beer will receive a numerical score.
‣ During the second round of judging, the highest scoring beers from each pair of judges in round one will be re-evaluated to determine the winners.
‣ Prizes and medals will be awarded for first (gold), second (silver), and third (bronze).
‣ Additional prizes will be awarded at the awards & tasting event for brewers choice, best name, and most creative recipe. Attendees will vote for these based on the beers they sample.
‣ First place (gold) will brew their award winning recipe on a commercial brew system at the brewery hosting our awards & tasting event. The beer will then be on tap at that brewery and we will organize a tapping party when the beer is ready.
AWARDS & TASTING EVENT
‣ We are currently re-evaluating our awards & tasting event to make sure we comply with current Covid restrictions. Please check back regularly.